Amedee, Buick Mechanic
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Buick Skylark Limited: My sons 1996 buick skylark starts then

Customer Question

My sons 1996 buick skylark starts then reuns until it warms up a,d idles down and dies. It will restart only if you hold you foot on the gas pedal and feather it to keep it running. Do you have any ideas? It's been sitting all winter now, and he needs to get it going...I've replaced the usual things, but nothing seems to get rid of the stall after it warms up. You can drive but you have to hold your foot on the gas pedal at the stops...
Category: Buick
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
once it will stall and you hold your foot to the floor to run it when it starts will it blow out black or dark smoke out the exhaust then clear up and idle ok for a little bit ?are there any codes set in the computer at all history or current ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It stalls right after the motor heats up....if I restart with foot on gas pedal I get black smoke. There's no codes currently set...
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did a code reset after I replaced the parts that I thought would help, so there's no codes now...
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
can you get the car to act up and stall then remove the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator does fuel come out of the regulator port where the vacuum line connects to it ?these are so common for regulators bad and causing this exact problemif you see any fuel replace the regulatorif you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yeah I was just out there and it stalled on me. I will look at the fuel pressure regulator now.
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
# ***** in this pictureif you see no fuel start it up and when its running unplug it and see if any fuel comes out of it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No there's no fuel in that vacuum line, on start up or running...
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can the EGR valve get stuck open after warming up? I know these are a pain in the ASS to find, that's why I didn't want him to buy this car...
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
ok with it blowing that smoke when it starts back up there is too much fuel getting into the cylinders causing this issueif you idle the car and unplug the engine coolant temp sensor will it still stall ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'll go check right now...
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That wasn't it either, it still idles up and down between(###) ###-####rpm and increasing gets wider in the idle until it just go so low it dies...
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! Different Expert here. If the fuel pressure regulator is not leaking, then this problem is likley caused by an air or a vacuum leak.. (which is very common) or a bad MAF sensor.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We cleaned the MAF last fall, it was really pretty clean then. Didn't think that was the problem. The whole thing about these engines is, there's so much CRAP on these engines that use vacuum lines!!! I'm going to try to use some WD around the intake manifold and see if it's leaking. But to me, it would run and stall while it was cold too! Any ideas what would be leaking after it warms up? That's when it stalls, after its heated up...
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
EGR valve open?
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.
It could be faulty injectors, bad crankshaft position sensor, lazy idle air control valve (unless you replaced this) or a bad TPS sensor..
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We replaced the TPS, and the IAC, couldn't be that easy. Hope that the Crank position sensor, that's a bear to get at. Why would the injectors not work right after its warm?
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.
It really sounds like you have an air or a vacuum leak. This would be the most common cause of this idle issue when warm. I suspect it only does this after the engine warms up because the engine idle gets lower and the engine typically runs a bit leaner so at this point is when an air or a vacuum leak would show up. Was the mass air flow sensor replaced? If not, this can also do it too. One thing you can do is watch the TPS voltage to ensure it is nice and steady when this idle condition occurs. Same thing with the MAP sensor. A fluctuating MAP voltage indicates a vacuum leak. Oh, and dont forget about the engine coolant temp sensor.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.
I do work all day today but will be back on line late tonight. Let me know how it goes!
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.
Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance? Let me know!