K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

I didn't screw the piston in. I used a c-clamp and now the

Customer Question

I didn't screw the piston in. I used a c-clamp and now the emergency break pedal won't work. How do I fix it?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Buick. The Buick Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 2002 Buick Lesabre Rear brake piston. I didn't turn the piston in by hand. I compressed the piston with a c-clamp. Now the brakes work and the emergency break does not. The emergency break pedal will not lock.
JA: Oh No! Brake problems are the worst. The Buick Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes,I made the mess.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Asking you how to fix it?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Buick Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: Nothing i know.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 7 months ago.
Hello, unfortunately you will have to replace the caliper. Comressing the piston instead of crewing it in has damagedthe internal threads used by the emergency brake lever on it.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there any tricks to doing that?
It's fairly straight forward, just remember to use new copper washers on the brake line. I'll post info on replacing it below. The piston can be compressed with a C clamp but not to exceed 1mm of movement or it damages the E brake adjuster. I honestly don't know why GM even suggest that since 1mm isn't enough to allow for new pads.
Hello, I was just wanting to follow up and see how things went.