Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

We replaced the fuel pump and still wont start unless we power

Customer Question

we replaced the fuel pump and still wont start unless we power the pump with 12 volts not really sure what is next in line to test .car has injector pulse and spark to the plugs.we switched fuel pump relay and checked fuel pump fuse it was ok
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Buick. The Buick Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: thank you ,brian
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Buick Mechanic should know about your Buick?
Customer: not sure
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 7 months ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist do you hear the pump prime when you turn on the key??did you verify no power to the pump??? after you prime it with 12 volts, does the car stay running??? Roy
year, model, engine?? I will look up a wire diagram for you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no it doesn't run when we crank it if we power it with12 volts it will run
ok, get me the vehicle info and we will do some tests
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2002 buick lesabre 3.8
ok, take a look at the diagram. did you verify power to the relay from the fuse box???? you need 12 volts.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes with key on there is 12 volt to one corner of the relay
ok, the pcm sends a 2 second signal to one of the other 3 when you turn on the key. test the other prongs for this voltage Roy
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes one of the other prongs powers up for a few seconds
ok, does the relay click when re installed and you cycle the key??? Roy
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I could not feel it click. but with my probe it would put power to the opposite corner every time we turned the ignition on
if your using a power probe????
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
a test light
good, a power probe will destroy the pcm. ok, if the relay is not clicking then maybe a couple of issue. the ground at the end in the diagram is bad.the relay is bador you have a wire issue at the relay plug or the ground circuit. the pcm sends power to the relay to energize the coil and send power back to the pump. the issue is on the control side of the circuit Roy
check the ground connection in the diagram and re test to see if the relay works. it is G302
how are you making out??? Roy