Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Buick Regal: 2012 Regal Hybrid (eAssist) Car intermittently

Customer Question

2012 Regal Hybrid (eAssist) Car intermittently shuts down when stopped. Not the auto Shutdown but the electrical system seems to go haywire. Have to start it, turn it off, then wait 2 to 3 min, then start it and can then drive. CEL comes on and I had the code read as a P0010. Replaced the 12 volt batter 3 days ago, Also had the Alternator checked at AutoZone and it reads as charging good.
Any Ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Luke replied 11 months ago.
Hi I'm Luke and I will assist the best I can. The code you refer to is for the intake camshaft actuator solenoid. I worked at a Buick GMC dealer for about 15 years as a tech and I replaced a lot of those solenoids for that code and the accompanying driveability issue you describe. Did you also have a starting problem that you had the alternator checked?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I replaced the battery. It was dead. So I also had the alternator checked to make sure it was charging.
Expert:  Luke replied 11 months ago.
Ok great, in that case I would look into replacing the intake camshaft actuator solenoid. It is not hard to replace at all but there are 2 of them underneath the engine cover, one for intake and one for exhaust. The intake should be the one that has a white molding where the connector plugs into. It is always a good idea to check for the 5 volt reference and the ground going to the connector. Also be sure to check your engine oil level and its condition as this actuator works off of oil pressure. I say that as a precaution because that is how the solenoid works mechanically. Your code is for the circuit side of the solenoid so electrically the solenoid has failed as long as the wiring is good up to it. Let me know if I can assist further thanks
Expert:  Luke replied 11 months ago.
Just checking in to see how things are going. Let me know if I can assist further but if not please remember to give me a rating thanks!