Kevin
Kevin, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

Buick Lucerne CXL: What prevents jump starting a 2008 Buick

Customer Question

What prevents jump starting a 2008 Buick Lucerne V6 from under the hood? I had a dead battery; got 'nothing' from under the hood. Had to remove seat and connect directly to battery. Dealer says this is common. It doesn't make sense!
Category: Buick
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
Hello nad thank you for your question,The problem come from the resistance caused by the length of the cable under the hood to the battery and when the battery is extremely dead its is usually to much resistance for the jumper cable to over come do to the voltage drop .Unfortunately its just a poor design on GM part.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm sorry but that doesn't make sense. lf the length of the cable to the battery was the problem then the length of the jumper cables would create the same resistance and problem. There is absolutely no current flowing when properly connected under the hood. Not a dome light, not tinkle from the door being open absolutely nothing. It indicates something like a theft deterrent system was completely severing the connection from the hood to the battery.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
Well if you are not getting any current flowing then That would indicate you have a connection problem at the jump point. Have you tired making sure the jump connector is clean and tight. A theft issue would not shut down the currect.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes, it was a good clean connection and getting spark at the ground connection with a professional set of copper 4 ga cables and the dealer says this is common and that they frequently must remove the seat.
I'll continue if we can progress.I probably should just cease this communication. I don't think we're headed in a pos
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
Okay, I will open the post back up for you and perhaps someone else has something else to add.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
BTW the same set of cables worked instantly when connected to the battery. One would expect to get at least a dome light if they used lamp cord.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your candor.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
hi im Kevin a different tech I will try to assist if your still requiring assistance ?do you have a multimeter/voltmeter?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes, l have a multi-meter.
I'll be off-line for about 45 minutes.
Thanks,
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
can you on volt setting put one lead on battery positive of battery and the other on the positive jump point under bonnetand let me know reading ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't have access to the vehicle at the moment and I'm preparing to depart for a trip. Will I be able to continue this next week when I return? I intrigued to learn where you're headed.
If so, thanks,
Norm
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
yes just let me know what you find when you get chance this test shows potential difference in a wire or volt drop it will show the difference between the battery voltage and the voltage at jump point which should be the same you should get a reading as close as possible to 0volts on this test
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** ASAP.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
no problem no rush