sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Buick Lacrosse CXL: I have a 2006 Buick Lacrosse. It started

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Buick Lacrosse. It started making a knocking sound (not the engine) that seemed to come from the left front area. I have replaced both hub bearing assemblies and the left front axle shaft with absolutely no change in the noise. Any ideas?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Luke replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Luke and I'll help the best I can. Can you get me a little more info as to when you hear this noise. Is it over bumps? or when turning? when starting and stopping? If you can just describe what and when you are doing when you hear the noise and we can go from there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It increases with speed. After about 35 mph it gets louder. Steady thud thud like a bearing but those have been replaced (needed) the LF axle shaft seemed to be vibrating a bit so we replaced that. I likened the sound to the old Oldsmobile toranado FWD/chain drive.........It is louder on deceleration and a little louder on left turn. Brakes are OK no caliper hanging up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If Luke has gone away I will need to give a low rating............
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So Luke isn't answering my follow-up description of my problem. I need to leave and this website won't let me rate the support. One star at the moment.
Expert:  Luke replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I had to step out for a moment, if it is a steady noise that goes up and down with road speed and you have replaced the hub bearings then I would check the tires even if they are new. I have heard tire noises many times that sounded like something mechanical. Rotate the tires front to rear to see if it goes away. Even if I get a bad rating, I hope I may have helped
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rotated the tires and it didn't change anything
Expert:  Luke replied 1 year ago.
If it is indeed a noise that increases and decreases with wheel speed and then there is a chance it could be the output shaft bearing on the transmission although it is not a problem that I have ever come across. That does not mean it is not possible as it is the only thing left that increases or decreases with wheel speed on one side. I would have to drive the vehicle myself to really track it down and I know that is not possible. Sorry I could not help, maybe on of the other techs here may have an idea
Expert:  Luke replied 1 year ago.
I will opt out
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!If the noise is related to vehicle speed and changes or comes and goes when turning it's coming from a wheel bearing. Turning applies more or less load on the wheel bearings depending on which way you're turning and the load change will cause the noise to lessen or go away when the load on the affected bearing decreases. If the front bearings have been replaced the noise hasn't changed then odds are it's actually coming from the rear.