Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

95 Buick 3.8 acceleration knock. I haven't driven it. Was just

Customer Question

95 Buick 3.8 acceleration knock. I haven't driven it. Was just asked if I had any ideas. The owner also says 80 psi oil pressure. But of course that has to be verified with a mechanical gauge.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Nope. All I have is an acceleration knock I haven't heard. Does not knock otherwise.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Buick Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 months ago.
The problem may be a separated harmonic balancer. These were prone to failure and when they fail, the outer and inner portions can turn a certain number of degrees and knock or bang against the stops. Best way to diagnose is to remove the belt and try spinning the outer pulley back and forth by hand.