Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Ok.. lets say i am a pretty smart "garage mechanic" on Old

Customer Question

ok.. lets say i am a pretty smart "garage mechanic" on Old school GM's
I just bought a 1979 Buicle Electra 225 Limited. The brake petal is super super "spongy"
the old owner said he had the brake booster replaced and may or may not have the system or master cylinder bled post repair.
1. i attempted to bleed the system ( with the brake fluid reservoir closed? correct?)
i did get fluid/air on the right passenger side, when i moved to the rear driver side NADA, ZIP, ZERO, ZILCH no matter how many times i have the petal pumped when i loosen the bleeder screw, nothing comes out. no fluid.
IF i drive it i have to pump the petal repeatedly to build up pressure in order to stop and even then, it will intermittently go all the way to the bottom floor. this is dangerous with a car of that weight.
Help
Thanks
Category: Buick
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 8 months ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

you have a blockage in the lines somewhere most likely from the age of the fluid and it most likely never changed. open the proportioning valve and see if there is pressure to the rear wheels

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

where would it be? the is no prop valve between the m.c. and lines? from my knowledge the usually inches away from the m.c.. the car is like showroom condition.

backround:

i am 35 purchased from the original owner. as immaculate as the car is, i cannot imagine it being neglected but who really knows right?

and i have fluid to the rear passenger side.

would you like a photo

ok, I would start by remove the brake hose and see if the line is blocked to the wheel cylinder

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

ok will give it a whirl tomorrow ill let you know what happens have a great night

you too