FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

2005 buick rainier cxl locked into four wheel drive, I can

Customer Question

2005 buick rainier cxl locked into four wheel drive
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Buick. The Buick Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I can feel the front tires "skipping" across the pavement as I make a turn. My turn radius is double and my front tires are trying to drive the vehicle when they should be.......free?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Maybe I was a certified mechanic at one time.......30 years and 5 careers ago. Mainly what is wrong. I know as a last resort I can drop the front drive shaft to make it use able
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Buick Mechanic should know about your Buick?
Customer: all fluids are good and no warning lights on the dash. 210,000 miles well taken care of.......about it I think
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. Can you tell me if there are any warning lights illuminated on the dash?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No warning lights at all.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 9 months ago.

Thanks. One last question. Are there any popping or grinding noises?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Nope sorry it took so long. Sounds fine even in a turn
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 9 months ago.

Thank you. It sounds like the front actuator may not be releasing. That is the most common issue that will cause this. Has this been checked?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not yet I will look at that. Thank you!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is there a fuse I could pull to test it? Or do I need to get under it and check it there?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 8 months ago.

I would recommend getting underneath and doing it at the actuator. The fuse will not do much.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 8 months ago.

Let me know what you find and we can continue from there.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Bobby, you will want to throw something shortly.
I did not mention that this vehicle has no control knob (anywhere) for the 4x4 system. It is all automatic. Sooo when I looked where my manuel says (pass. Side wheel well, just inside the frame) there is no actuator. I can see the plate covering the place for one but no actuator. I am sorry this is my first GM product as I am use to older Fords, and MOPAR. Again sorry.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 8 months ago.

No problem. So you have full time all wheel drive then correct?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No warning lights, no grinding, just feel the tires "skipping" across the road surface when turning.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 8 months ago.

That is somewhat common on the all wheel drive model. One thing that makes it more apparent is when the fluid in the front differential is worn and broken down. This can cause the clutches to not work right which will make them grab when they should be releasing.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you I will try that.