Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. certified
20625509

My cars been running rough. and when idling the engine would

Customer Question

my cars been running rough for sometime. and when idling the engine would surge then go back too normal. I took it for a drive and when i floored it the car would jerk and stutter a bit. Well just today i went too start it up the engine was idling really high then the check engine light came.. after about 5 too 8 mins the light went off i had too shut the car off because it was too idliling too high. I did however get the code.. i did it the old fashion way i turned the key on put a paperclip in the code reader the fan turned on and the engine light blink 12 3 times.. then it went 11 11 for 22. if you have anything there could you check the code? i found throttle sensor. i start the car every other day and the check engine light never comes on intill today the other days the car would always start rough and idle kinda rough.. but today just idled really high never seen it like that before. but a few months ago when driving it... the engine was idling high in fact i had my foot on the brke and car was moving a bit. kinda scary. I shut the car off at theat time reastarted it and it was fine.. but still had the studder or jerking when the pedal was floored.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

if this had a code 22 in it which is a TPS sensor code and would cause this issue you are having

the best bet is to be sure the TPS electrical connector is tight and the wires visually to the TPS sensor look good if they do replacing the TPS sensor should correct this issue you are having

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
yeah it was kinda scary hearing idle that high like the car was going too take off. would the rough running and pedal too the floor the studder/jerking be about of this also? any other symptoms with this?
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

yes if the TPS is bad or giving a bad signal it will over fuel or under fuel the engine and cause this issue

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
back over the summer last yr the engine light would come on sometimes and the car would stallout then start back up after 15 mins. but the light always turned off after about 10mins. could i replaced this TPS? IS IT HARD?
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

getting to the 2 screws that hold the TPS in place is tough

but once the 2 screws are out just change it out

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the TBS controls the idle also? is the connector orange?
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

yes it control the idle fuel amount

the connector has 3 wires in it one black one blue and one grey

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok theres the sensor and theres the wiring too it? what if its the connector?
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

if it is the connector most auto parts stores sell replacement connectors

Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is there any kind of adjusting of the sensor that would be needed?
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

yes once in place a scan tool needs to be connected to the cars OBD port and the TPS set to 25 to 60 at rest

or if no scan tool put the new one in the same location as the old one was

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
with no scan tool what do you mean in same location? I found this video you mean like this guy?
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

yes if he did it without a scan tool

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sorrty forgot too give you the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQRZwRxiK1A
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

yes just like he did if your is exactly like the one in the picture then there is NOT adjustment it goes in one way as you can see the TPS bolt holes are not slotted for any adjustment

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what was that he took out? that big piece is it easier too take that out?? then put the sensor in?
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

yes very easy to take out

the big piece he took out IS the TPS

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
take alook again that BIG thing is not the sensor the part hes putting in is. how easy does that BIG part come out?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQRZwRxiK1A
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

oh i see

that is the throttle body assembly that sensor bolts onto

its usually held in with 2 or 3 nuts or bolts to the intake manifold

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
is it easy too remove?
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

yes

Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.
  1. Remove the intake duct.
  2. Partially drain the radiator coolant.
  3. Disconnect the throttle, transmission control (TV), and cruise cables.
  4. Remove the throttle cable bracket.
  5. Disconnect the IAC , TPS, and MAF sensor electrical connectors.
  6. Remove the nuts holding the throttle body to the intake manifold.
  7. Remove the throttle body assembly.
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

how are you making out ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Well didnt replace the part yet it looks like i will have too remove the thermostat housing so i can get too the 2 screws. what kind of screws are those? I also noticed on the one in the car which is weird it has the adjuster on the sensor... but it dont have the lever the new one does. it has the silver round part but NOT the rest of it for some reason. http://www.partstrain.com/store/??N=0&Nr=AND%28universal%3A0%29&PN=0+5955&VN=4294967142+4294966140+4294966048+4294966804+4294966818&Nr=AND%28universal:0%29
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

once you remove the old one you will see the silver lever on the bottom of the old one

you remove the throttle body to change the sensor

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the old one is still in the car and i can see the old lever now.. but it doesnt have the lever arm on it just the part that looks like a dime. I find this weird
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.

Here are the instructions for replacing that tps,