Pete, Buick Technician
Experience:  17 years Buick Technician experience and training.
14928985

I hand a head gasket and fixed it but now I hehear a

Customer Question

I hand a blown head gasket and fixed it but now I hehear a knocking noise but don't know where from how do I fix my problem
Category: Buick
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Does this knocking increase with engine speed when revved up and is it a loud knock or a tick rattle type noise?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No when I give it gas it doesn't get louder its on and off at first I thought it was cause it didn't have enough oil but the oil was good it's a low knock
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

O.k.,does the noise speed up at all with the engine speeding up or does it remain the same?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It remains the same until I come to a stop then you hear the knocking again
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

O.k.,there is a good chance this is a lower rod bearing or main bearing failing on the crank shaft.This was a common fault unfortunately for this model here.Coolant may have got down into the engine oil and damaged the bearing as this is common with head gasket replacement or if this model had the dreaded upper intake coolant leak that caused engine failure.

One other component that can cause this is the engine harmonic balancer/crank shaft pulley coming apart internally.I have seen this fail before and had to replace it as well for this type of noise here.

Unfortunately without seeing and hearing the vehicle it is difficult to say for sure from here which of these is the cause.This will have to be inspected most likely by a repair center to locate the cause and then determined what caused it.If found due to the head gasket replacement I would speak with the repair facility that did the head gasket replacement to see if they will cover the costs for repair for this here or help with the costs.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well I jjust changed the oil and the oil filter so I don't think theirs coolant is the case but I did have to change the rod bearing they where pretty worn down before but the noise from that was totally different ffrom what I heard from today but could it still be the bearings
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

It can be the main bearings on the crank or wear on the new rod bearings if the crank had any scuffing when the new ones were installed last.The crank bearings are a common issue on this model here for this fault as well as the harmonic balancer.This will have to be checked further to pinpoint and repair this issue here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.Thanks Pete