Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

I have a 1986 Buick Electra Park Avenue 3.8 that I can not

Customer Question

I have a 1986 Buick Electra Park Avenue 3.8 that I can not get a spark out of the #4 coil tower. The plug and wire is good, I have replaced the coil pack and ignition control module. Need help!!
Category: Buick
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 9 months ago.

Hi there. Welcome to our site!

I want to help you solve this problem, so please don't get mad for what I'm about to state:

Most experienced mechanics such as myself have seen many defective parts come out of the different part houses, so telling one of us that coil pack and ignition module have been replaced doesn't really mean much. We have also seen many parts being replaced without having been diagnosed as bad first.

So, having said that, how are you testing that spark? Also, are you aware this is an old waste-spark system that fires both 1 and 4 cylinders at the same time?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If I pull a plug wire from any coil tower, that tower will spark against the coil pack ...except tower #4. In fact, I have used two different coil packs and two different modules and the results are the same.

OK. I understand what you're saying. Problem is that I'm old and slow and you're way ahead of me in this diagnosis. So what I need you to do is please tell me what symptom(s) led you to where you are? What was the original complaint? Is there any type of repair or service history you can share?