Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

How to remove the small storage compartment on drivers side,

Customer Question

how to remove the small storage compartment on drivers side
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Buick. The Buick Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: My registration and the insurance card went behind the storage unit on drivers side
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Just want to know how to remove the unit so I can get the paperwork out befor it catches on fire
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Buick Mechanic should know about your Buick?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Let me see if I can help you. What year and model is your buick?

By storage box you mean the glovebox right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is the small storage area on the drivers side NOT the actual glove box
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the instrument panel storage compartment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2012 Buick Regal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there Jared?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I was looking for a picture. This one that I circled right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is the one
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I think the best way to get to your documents would be to pull the panel as shown in that picture. It just pulls straight off without removing and screws or anything. It's hard to say exactly where they went, but you should be able to see them with that panel off. Don't worry about a risk of fire or anything, there isn't any significant heat source back there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this a joke? I am not spending $24 on a phone call
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

That phone call request is automated. The system does that on it's own. I prefer to communicate here is that is ok with you.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I don't care for the new automatic phone cal request feature that just answer has implemented because what good does it do to talk on the phone when all you really need is a diagram.

Anyhow, if you can't see the documents with the side panel off, you might have to remove the entire lower trim panel. It's not terrible, but not easy either. Here is the procedure for removing it.