sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2000 Buick Park Avenue. During recent cold weather

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Buick Park Avenue. During recent cold weather I was unable to open two of the car doors from the outside. I have not been unable to open those two doors from the outside since the cold spell. I can open them from the inside. Now during this weekend's cold weather a third door has become unable to open from the outside. I am down to the one remaining door, the driver's door. I fear I will soon be unable to enter my own car.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Buick. The Buick Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Only if this is a VERY EASY fix. My dear beloved might be able to tackle something a bit more complicated. I am likely to seek the services of a mechanic.
JA: Is there anything else the Buick Mechanic should be aware of about your Buick?
Customer: It has a few issues that are not uncommon with "mature" cars. The driver's seat belt cover came off. I believe wires may have been pulled and the seat belt sign blinks all of the time. The gas gauge needle tripped during a battery charge and the needle now rests below the actual gauge indicator. I don't think there is anything else related to the doors. The windows are VERY slow to open in cold or wet weather. I believe that may also be common in older Buicks.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You may have a couple things going on depending on exactly what is happening.

If you're unable to move the outside handles then the problem may be with the handle itself or the latches.

If the handle does move and with normal resistance then the issue is most likely with the lathes.

If the handles move with no resistance then the linkage may be off. There is a rod that goes between the handle and latch which is held in place with plastic clips at each end. It isn't unheard of for the rods to pop off at either end which will then allow the handle to move without resistance and the door won't open since the latch isn't being actuated.

What will need to be done is remove the door panel for each door affected to inspect the linkage, handles and latches. If the handles appear to feel normal then latch issues are most likely.