Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Excessive wind/road noise in a 2005 Buick Lesabre

Customer Question

Excessive wind/road noise in a 2005 Buick Lesabre Celebration Edition w/moon roof
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure, Mainly it's above 40 Miles an hour, and I'll get an excessive amount of what I can only guess is wind noise entering in the cab. After listening carefully several times in the Passenger, and driver positions it seems to either be coming from above the headliner through the moon roof, or around the B pillars on either side And I'm trying to figure out if I need to get door/ window seals replaced or some other alternative, cause I don't believe it should be this noisy
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Buick Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: Sure
Category: Buick
Expert:  SARMIENTO22556 replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I will try my best to help you with your concern.

first we need to find out where the wind noise is coming from.

a simple way is to get wide masking tape, preferably the paint type so it doesn't leave a film, and begin by taping around the windshield and then driving it to see if the noise goes away.

if not remove the tape and tape in another spot, around the moon roof, doors etc until you have located the source of the noise.

let me know what you find

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Seems to be coming in around the B pillars. Stopped through the car wash while directly under the blower jets and it seems to leak around the back end of the door where it closes around the Pillar.

ok carefully inspect the rubber door seals around the doors and around the body. you will probably find one of them torn or worn. replace the seal and your wind noise should go away

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well that's the weird thing. All the seals at least appear to be in immaculate condition. I'm starting to think maybe my doors need to be re-aligned or something. When I'm in the car and run my finger along the interior seal, I can't get any wiggle room near the front of the door, but around back I shove the entire tip of my finger between the doors and seals

that seems strange. no body work has been done? accidents?

does the door open and close easily or does it act like it sticks or closes funny?

gently tug on the seals and make sure they are securely attached to the body both on the door and the car