Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

1999 Park Avenue Neighbor working on my car somehow got

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** ***** Neighbor working on my car somehow got "unknown driver" message on dash board. Now, the steering wheel and key will not turn no matter what.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: This neighbor fixed a problem I was having with electrical leakage but then was trying to fix another problem with interior lights. I have no idea what exactly he did. All I know is that he told me he got that message
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Buick Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online.

Ok, take a look at the attached photo and see if your key looks like it with a pellet and black chip around it. If it does, make sure that the small metal pellet in the center of the black chip is not missing.

If it isnt, do the following

1-TurnON the ignition,with the engine OFF.

2-Attemptto start the engine,then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).

3-Observe the SECURITY telltale(this is the security light), after approximately 10minutes the telltale will turn OFF.

4-Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .

5-Repeat steps 1through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes(the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK). IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM)Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6-Start the engine(the vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password).

Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks