Gary
Gary, Buick Technician
Experience:  15 years master GM tech and mater ASE tech
19513769

I have a 96 Buick century with 102,000 miles on it. Last

Customer Question

I have a 96 Buick century with 102,000 miles on it. Last week i turned a corner and the low oil pressure light came on, the upper half of the engine started too chatter I think the oil pump gave up the ghost. It will start right now 1at try but still has the engine noise. The oil was fine when this happened, so I need to replace the oil pump I hope that's all but I have no idea of where it is on the 3.1 fwd Buick any advice-help???
Category: Buick
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

the odds are it is just the oil pump or the oil pup pick up screen fell off the pump or is loose causing this problem

seeing this happened as soon as you turned a corner and did not drive the engine much removing the oil pan and replacing the oil pump and pick up tube should correct this issue

also before you put back up the new oil pump take the oil pump drive rod that goes into the drive the pump and put it back in the engine with a socket and extension on it and be sure when its in the engine you can NOT turn the oil pump drive rod by hand as that rod is driven from a dummy distributor stub shaft off the back of the cam shaft and we just want to be sure that stub shaft did not fail

very rare but its always good to check before putting it back together

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

how are you making out ?

you can always get me back through this post for FREE with any follow up with this question even after you rate us here as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer