Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

I have a 2000 buick park avenue 3.8L 225,000 miles. least 2

Customer Question

I have a 2000 buick park avenue 3.8L 225,000 miles. For at least 2 months while driving when you push down on the gas pedal i can hear a noticeable solid tone coming from passenger side in front. The second you let off the gas the tone disappears. Wednesday morning i remote started the car from the house. After 5 or 6 minutes i went to my detached garage & drove the car out to the back door. It was running fine. I shut it off & went back in the house to finish getting ready for work. It was cold outside (8 deg wind chill -2) An hour later i remote started it again. After a couple minutes when i went out i noticed it wasn't running. I got in & tried to start it. After several attempts it barely would run, sputtering and rough. My first thought was gas line freeze. It died a few times and was hard to restart. Eventually it started & seemed to run a bit better so i thought driving might help. I turned out of the driveway & it died again & wouldn't restart. Later i pushed it back into the garage & heated the garage to plus 60 for several hours. After that it would barely start & run for a minute. Later i learned the ECM is located inside the car, inside the passenger side wall. I'm thinking the ECM went bad ? Also i have 2 key fobs that the car identifies as driver 1 or driver 2 depending on which is used. When i use either one now "unidentified driver" flashes on dashboard. I used a code reader to try and find any codes. Only code to come up is P0461 which identifies fuel level indicator. The gas gauge has not worked correctly since i bought the car 10 months ago.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 10 months ago.

Try disconnecting the mass airflow sensor connector at the intake manifold. Then attempt starting. Does the engine start easily and continue to run?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Disconnected it but same thing. It will not even start

Remove one of the plug wires at the coils and crank the engine. Do you get spark from the coil while cranking?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
there is spark
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi, did you get my last answer ?

Do you hear the fuel pump run when the key is turned on?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, but i never have heard it run.

Will the engine run on starting fluid?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Haven't tried that. I will
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, will not start. Nothing different

Pull a few spark plugs are they wet with fuel?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well i didn't hear from you for a couple days so my car is scheduled to go into the repair shop monday. Never did get your thoughts on if it could be the ECM.

ECM failure is a possibility, but a remote one. We do not see many ECM failures. most common failures on this car that would cause stalling or a no start condition would be the crankshaft position sensor or the ignition control module.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It turns out it was the mass air flow sensor was bad. It's fixed & back on the road.

Good to hear you got the problem solved. That is what I suspected in the beginning. That is why I had you unplug the sensor and run the engine. Normally when the sensor is bad the engine will run better with it unplugged.

Dave