FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

I have a 1998 Buick park avenue base model. All windows

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Buick park avenue base model. All windows except driver window do not work, none of the locks work, the trunk doesn't pop, passenger mirror doesn't work, radio switched power doesn't work and the key fob doesn't work.
Driver mirror, driver window and power seat works.
This all happened at the same time and
unexpectedly. I can put power to the rear easily use to get the radio to power up and I can ground the trunk release relay and pop the trunk.
I have a prior background in automotive electronics But I have trouble shot to my wits end with negative results.
Not sure what to check next.
Category: Buick
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me if all of these stopped working at the exact same time?

I just saw the rest of your question. I see that you already answered that. Also, can you tell me if you have a voltage meter to run some tests.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
all at the same time and I do have a meter.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Any suggestions?

Thanks. Start by checking for power at the PDM fuse. This is in the box behind the glove box. If it is fine and if it has power then check the wiring junction connector under the passenger side of the rear seat. These circuits go through there and it is common for this connection to break or become contaminated. If you do not find anything with these checks please let me know and we can continue.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Have power/continuity at the pdm fuse. The wiring under the rear seat looks great
(no corrosion at all or visible damage).
I'm not sure if it's related but I did realize that the rear doors do not activate the dome light. Both front doors do though.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also I see my original post had an auto correct that was confusing. The rear fuse for the radio (switched power) had no voltage so I had to jump from a different fuse and the radio began to work. I checked the voltage on every other fuse in the block and they all have power.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will I only get one reply per day? If so can you give me multiple things to check.....at this rate it's going to take a month of back and forth to get it solved. Thanks

Sorry for the delay in getting back with you. I was unavailable earlier today. I should be on more today. You may have a break in the wiring to the rear doors, or it actually sounds like you may have an ignition switch issue. Do you know how to access the ignition switch?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can get to it. Just let me know what the next step is.

With the key off you should have battery voltage at only two of the wires. With the key in run all but the yellow should have battery voltage. The yellow wire should only have voltage when the key is in the crank position. If any of these don't occur then replace the switch.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Everything checked perfect at the switch.

Under each kick panel under the dash there is a ground connection. Make sure both are clean and tight. Then if those are good remove and test the RAP circuit breaker in the fuse box. If that is fine there is a bad connection from that circuit breaker.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Both grounds are def good. I checked those several times during my trouble shooting. I've checked for power and continuity at every single fuse and circuit breaker under the hood, under the dash fuse box and rear fuse box. I'm about to give up and take it to the dealer. I want shooing with the symptoms and everything stopping at the Same time that an expert would have more insight.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
shooing* supposed to be was hoping

Does the fuel door release work?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it does

Besides a possible break or open in the wiring or an internal fuse box issue the only other thing that links all of these systems together is the body control module.