Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Need to remove and replace 1993 buick lasabre l/s engine fan

Customer Question

Customer: need to remove and replace 1993 buick lasabre l/s engine fan bolts removed cant seem to get it out.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: won't go out bottom wont go out top
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Buick Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Mark replied 11 months ago.

Greetings and welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** so we're communicating at the highest level here, I might ask you a few questions so I fully understand what you're talking about. If I should happen to be "offline" when you reply, please give me a chance to respond. I usually will do so with-in 10-12 hrs. (Usually sooner) If I cannot answer your question, or help you to your satisfaction, I will "opt" out and give another tech the opportunity to assist you.

Your question is about "removing the engine fan bolts". This make and model uses a cooling fan between the engine and radiator. You want to remove the cooling fan out right? You have removed the bolts, it is loose, and now you can't get the fan out. Is this what I am to understand?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Mark replied 11 months ago.

Okay, you need to take it out the top. You'll have to maybe remove the battery or battery tray on the left. You'll have maybe a trans cooler line and upper radiator hose in the way on the right. You need to do whatever it takes to get these components out of the way to lift the cooling fan assembly up and out. It is NOT just a matter of removing the cooling fan bolts and then lift it up and out. It doesn't work that way.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok, that is the answer. I need to do whatever it takes to get the components out of the way to lift the fan assy up and out. got it!
Expert:  Mark replied 11 months ago.

Yes indeed. When you pull up on your cooling fan assembly, what is hitting? The trans cooler lines? The battery tray corner? The upper radiator hose? Is that what seems to be in your way and creating your confusion?