Gary
Gary, Buick Technician
Experience:  15 years master GM tech and mater ASE tech
19513769

I have 2001 buick century with automatic transmission

Customer Question

Customer: hi i have 2001 buick century with automatic transmission problems. i was driving the car when sudently i felt the car, like i was in neutral. I start changing gears and start moving in 2 and 1. then when went in the freeway and start shifting manually to the drive. but now only drives in reverse only
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: did recently replaced the transmission filter and fluids myself and everything went normal after a month later start the problem. i did check the transmission levels and was 2 quarts short
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Buick Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

the transmission fluid is full now when checked ?

and no drive gears at all when in drive or low 1 or low 2 ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That is correct fluids are normal. And when I move the gears in reverse feel the reverse jerks and moves in reverse but when I go the drive or lower 3,2,1, the car does not do enything or sounds different. It is like it were in neutra
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

thank you for that information

when these transmission shave reverse but NO forward gears we know the axles are connected and not broken and the fluid would have to be full and the transmission pump is working since you have reverse

this issue is going to be a forward sprag one way clutch issue inside the transmission or the reaction carrier or an input clutch failure either way the transmission would need to come out and be rebuilt or replaced

by default these transmissions should have reverse and a forward gear even if it was all unplugged electrically

i am sorry to say the transmission will have to come out and be rebuilt or replaced

you can always get me back for FREE through this post with any follow up anytime with this question

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here

Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

how are you making out ?