Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

My name is ***** *****..... I have an 2004 Buick Le Sabre.

Customer Question

Customer: Hello, my name is ***** *****..... I have an 2004 Buick Le Sabre. The factory radio is locked. went to the dealer and they want 100 dollars just to look at it. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem. Without having to pay a 100 dollars................
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I changed out the cruse control module. and while I was doing that there was a spark. I put everything back together and turned the key to crank the car and everything is working just fine. but the radio just says LOCKED.........
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Buick Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure..........
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

if you do this here will you get the 6 digit number ? if so what 6 digit number did you get ?

1. Turn the ignition ON (The radio should display “LOC”)

2. Hold down the Radio Presets 2 and 3 buttons for six seconds

3. The radio display changes from LOC to a three-digit number. Write this number down. You now have fifteen seconds to complete the next step.

4. Press the AM/FM button

5. The radio display changes to another three-digit number. Write this number to the right of the first one.

6. You now have a six-digit number, the first three digits are from STEP 03 and the last three digits are form STEP 05

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello Gary.....the radio displays LOCKED. I tryed what you sayed and that does not work......
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

ok may i ask how many times you tried to unlock it ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Twice......
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

can i ask how this radio got locked ?

is it the stock radio that came with this car new ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This is the stock radio....it has a cd player, tape deck and xm capability......this is the first time it has displayed (LOCKED)........I went to Buick earlier today and I was told it would be 100 dollars just for them to look at the car.......
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 11 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating.

Has there been any repairs recently?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello Samuel..... Just so you know....the only thing that was done is the cruise control regulator was change. Everything was put back together without issue. When I turned the key everything work just fine. The radio displayed (LOCKED) I have tryed several different thing like holding the 2 and 3 for 6sec and nothing happened. I tried holding the 5,the forward and the power button for 10 seconds and still nothing.......I also went to Buick and they said it would be 100 dollars just to look at my car....its a 2004 le sebre limited. The radio is am, fm , tape player, cd player and xm capability. It is the original radio that came with the car...........

OK the procedure for reading the security code by holding buttons will not work with your vehicle.

You will need a tech2 scanner. Many shops have them. Make some calls and ask if they have a tech2 most will tell you.

Here is how I would handle it.

1. Perform a radio setup function using the tech2

2. Check the VIN Number in the BCM also in the tech2

If after this procedure the radio does not work it will likely need a radio. The new radio will also require the setup procedure.

If the VIN Number in the BCM is different from the vehicle attempt to reprogram the BCM. If the VIN number will not learn you will probably need a BCM.

It has been a couple of days since I have heard from you. Do you still need assistance? I have also noticed that I have not received a rating from you. If for some reason you question did not get answered please reply. I am only compensated for my time when you leave a positive rating. Your understanding is appreciated.