Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

I am looking at a buick Lucerne 2006 with a north star

Customer Question

i am looking at a buick Lucerne 2006 with a north star engine I have had 2 3.9 with great service. I have heard 4.5 has problems.......dick
Category: Buick
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 1 year ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

yes, the northstar has issues. over the years it has got much better. make sure you check the history of the car as well as service records. I would not let that stop me from purchasing the car unless you find something in the past. if it is a dealer, you can tell them you will accept the car if they give you an extended warranty on the power train.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is a private sale, 89000 k and car was used 29k when they purchased it. runs strong and present owner has just had coolant hose and water pump replaced
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how is gas mileage

fuel mileage is less than the 3.9

I would look for an extended warranty from someone like AAA for the powertrain and deduct that from the asking price.

water pumps were a common failure for this motor over the years. my concern is progressive damage such as a head gasket. I would also have a shop check the car over paying particular atention to the engine

Roy