Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager
2947720

I have a 2012 buick lacrosse 3.6 engine thats leaking

Customer Question

i have a 2012 buick lacrosse 3.6 engine thats leaking coolant on the passenger side near the water pump. pump seems fine but not sure what else it can be. was told the bypass hose can leak too. Please i need your opinion. car has 49k miles. thanks?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Jerry replied 12 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Does it seem to leak off the lower end of the front of engine? Not from above the water pump where the hoses are?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No it's leaking toward back of engine. Coolant on the ground under the pullys or waterpump
Expert:  Jerry replied 12 months ago.

I see, thanks. It is a little confusing, the water pump is at the front of the engine, as in the diagram in the following link, where the belts are?

Expert:  Jerry replied 12 months ago.

That would be the water pump.

I can get the instructions for it and put it in a PDF file, (it is rather large) and send it to your email address for as little as possible.

.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it, Thanks

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
OK water pump is in the front, didn't know. However the leak is in the back passenger side of motor.
Expert:  Jerry replied 12 months ago.

I see, thanks. At the back of the engine, (driver's side) the only hoses that can leak anti freeze are the heater hoses. Whereas, the rear of the engine compartment, (toward the fire wall) on the right side of the vehicle, (passenger side, front of engine) would be the thermostat housing and hoses and the water pump. Here is a diagram of one of the heater hoses.

.

Is that the area of the leak?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Coolant on the ground between passenger wheel and motor toward back of engine.
Expert:  Jerry replied 12 months ago.

It's not coming out where the AC evaporator drain is, is it? There aren't any hoses that carry coolant in that area.

Expert:  Jerry replied 12 months ago.

Hello? Are you there?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hello Jerry!! I'm good. Can you give me your final analysis?
Expert:  Jerry replied 12 months ago.

From the location of the leak, it sounds like it is coming out of the evaporator drain. That would mean that the heater core is leaking, (in the heater box, under the dash). It would be best to pressure test the system though and possibly put some dye in it to be sure, thanks