Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon,
Experience:  Lead tech at river regions auto
90546729

I have a 1993 buick lesebre. I'm having a sputtering problem

Customer Question

I have a 1993 buick lesebre. I'm having a sputtering problem and rough idle at times. the sputtering and jerking alittle seems too happen when i'm going up hills. But also when i'm driving in wet weather and the roads are wet.. not always but the car will sputter and stall out. the car will restart after about 10mins. One night it was raining for awhile 2 days i didnt start the car for those 2 days.. but when i did the car was running really rough it did not stall out at all but it was rough for most of the day.. it got alittle better afterwords and it didnt smooth out for about 3 days... but the sputtering up hills was still there after i was off the hill it didnt really do it anymore. a week ago car was running fine it seemed.. then i went up the hill again and it did sputter and jerk... drove a bit further and then the car stalled out completly and now wont start at all. when i was driving when the roads where wet and it sputtered and stalled out the check engine light came on. after it started again.. the light stayed on for about 15 20mins then went out. theres a new fuel pump and fuel regulator and filter. someone told me theres no spark and that the plugs where fine and the coils. the rough idle isnt all the time sometimes when i first started it. and I have gone up hills and no sputtering. so this is weird.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 1 year ago.

I would replace the spark plug wires and check the plugs. Your describing a worn out set of plug wires

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the plug and wires where replaced about 3 yrs ago

How many miles? What kind of a set did you put on, if it was one of the cheaper sets from carquest or advance or napa, they arent good for 3 years, I cant tell you the times I have a car come in, skips when wet only to see a fairly new set of wires, in the dark you can take a spray bottle and spray them and you will see a ligtning show. I mean im not there I cant see the car but the symptoms you describe match perfect..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think i did get them from advanced why dont they last 3 yrs? and the thing here is.. the car dont start at all now...and the days it was real rough it has smoothed out it was never everyday the rough idle. and i was told theres no spark at all now. the car has about 155,000 miles. the sputtering wasn't always when it was wet there was good days and bad days. heres the other thing.. i had a gas leak the tank was leaking thats replaced now with a pump and regulator filter...im not sure if the wet thing was related too that it was leaking good a puddle on the ground. thats fixed now.

I am sorry I did not know it wouldnt start. Do you have a scan tool/? If so we need to see if you are getttin an rpm signal.

Your problem may be the crank sensor or the ignition control module

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no scan tool. why would you need too see the rpm signal? which one would be most likely control module or crank sensor? would both these parts cause any of the symptoms i stated? rough idle at times spuddering when going up hills or flooring it. what about wet weather? could thay act up from that?

If you want to fire the parts cannon put a crank sensor on it it would cause the problems you were having and cause your no start

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll be taking it too the shop and let them test things.. i'm not just going too start buying parts.

well honestly the crank sensor is about 35 bucks and it is most liekly your problem, I would roll the dice because by the time you pay a wrecker and diagnostic it is expensive, and honestly you are going to have a bad crank sensor or ignition control module

Have I helped you, I hope so If ii have will you please give me a positive rating

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on my buick how long would it take too replace the cranksensor... and whats an ave total price with labor

The crank sensor is behind the harmonic balancer, a skilled tech could put it in in less than 30 min. a do it yourselfer about an hour. Expect to pay an hour and half labor, plus diagnostic. In my shop Part would be about 65 total labor would be around 185.00 The part would cost you less than 40 bucks and all yo do is pull the balancer off and 2 bolts hold it on

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there easy too put in on buicks i guess huh?

Easier than most sir, You dont want to put one in a nissan or hyundai. that is for sure. If you took a poll of 100 cars with the symptom you describe the crank sensor would be the fix for 90 or better

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you have any pics or diagrams for the 93 lesebre? and where this balncer is and the cranksensor? what if things are rusted? take longer? and you said theres only 2 bolts holding the sensor in? if we do it my brother is pretty good with cars. he not sure if hes got time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what are the chances that the wiring too the crankshaft sensor are bad?

The chances for that are extremely well, I forget to mention to you check the harness up from the sensor to the ignition module

the balancer is on front of crankshaft, you will pull the belt off remove the one bolt from the center of balancer, couple of pry bars on each side usually walks it off, to be safe get a balancer puller from autozone, once the balancer is off the crank sensor is easy pickings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you have too replace the wire harnesses often? how much is that about? is it commen too replace the sensor and harness together?

No sir on the harness you repair it, usually what happens it will get into the drive belt and the belt will rub a hole in it. But it is part of the main harness, so repair will be the way to go. And I see more of the sensor than I do the harness.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Too repair wires would be extra labor charges i'm guessing

Sir i hate to tell you yes, alot of shops have trouble doing wiring repair and the diagnosing of it, so when they do find it they charge. And this is something you can do yourself and save hundreds.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure how too repair wire

okay like i said what usually what happens is the belt rubs into it, have you ever repaired a torn extension cord? Same principle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
electrical tape?

Yes sir if the wires are just rubbed into, if it is to bad cut, splice the best repair is soldered. Do you have a soldering gun if not they are cheap. Have you inspected the wiring

Sir have I answered your question completely? Is there anything else I can do to help you in this matter. Your satisfaction is very important to me. If you are happy please give me a positive rating

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
heres a question.. what are the chances the converter is lockedup? remember i have no spark

The torque converter? If it were locked up as long as the motor is spinning over it would have no effect on spark.

With you having no spark crank sensor, Ignition control Module, Pcm or your possibilities

Sir are you satisfied

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry it took so long too get back too you. I took my car too a local shop its not costing me an arm and a leg. turns out it was the cranksensor.. it had no output. and he confirmed it had no spark. Now... he said the sensor had oil all over it hes going too clean up the engine get it running and then see where its leaking from. what are the possible leaks? the oil might have killed the sensor.