Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones,
Experience:  GM A Tech at Straub Buick GMC
15093763

05 buick lesabre. heat is not working very well, its just

Customer Question

05 buick lesabre. heat is not working very well, its just warm. thermostat is a month old. took the heater core hoses off and blew threw it with shop air. didn't look very dirty. refilled with coolant and bled the air out using the bleeder on thermostat housing. all cooling hoses are hot and car is up to temp. after doin this I directed attention inside the car. the blower motor is working fine. when I move the nob to "cold" the air picks up and gets cold. when I move it to "hot" it goes back to being warm. I hooked up the scan tool and there are no codes under the climate control section or the instrument panel section. I commanded the temp actuator to hot and the % goes to 33%. when I command it to cold, it goes to 100%. I figured it should go to 0% when commanded to hot, so I removed the glove box and removed the actuator to make sure the flap was working properly. if I manually hold the flap to the hot side, the heat is still only warm, but everything seems to be working fine under the dash. I turned the car off and pulled the fuses for the hvac then reinstalled. turned key on and waited 60secs. this didn't change anything either. im stumped
Category: Buick
Expert:  Daniel Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to the site. Thanks for coming. I'm ***** *****.
I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

What is the coolant temp reading on the scan tool?

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

190*F is the coolant temp reading from the scanner

When the coolant temperature is below 91°C (195°F), the thermostat valve remains closed. This prevents circulation of the coolant to the radiator and allows the engine to warm up quickly. After the coolant temperature reaches 91°C (195°F), the thermostat valve will open.

Temperature should reach over 223°F to turn the fans on. If not then the thermostat may be bad.

Are both heater hoses the same temperature?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

one heater hose is 160 F and the other is 130F

Heater core is probably clogged. Try flushing it with a garden hose at the heater hoses. Use a spray nozzle for more pressure and flush it both ways. If it clears up you should do a flush with some type of chemical flush like Prestone Super flush or other brand.

If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.

If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service.

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****

Also if the system is not getting hot enough to turn on fan, which is 223°F you should change the thermostat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

im gonna do the thermostat because I haven't heard the fans come on.

You should also flush the heater core with a hose while you have system open.

If you need more help, please use the "Reply"tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****

Expert:  Daniel Jones replied 12 months ago.

Hi, Just wanted to get an update on how you made out with vehicle.

If you are satisfied with the information I supplied we would like to close out this question.

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****