sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Im experiencing rear air suspension problems in my 2004

Customer Question

Im experiencing rear air suspension problems in my 2004 buick rainier cxl plus
Category: Buick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the air bags last winter. Worked fine until this winter. It seems like the stabilization sensor or something other than the compressor as i can hear the compressor working. The compressor will turn on but not fill the bags up enough and I'm dragging trucks ass on the ground.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its got 155000 miles on it. I am in Steamboat Springs CO, does elevation play a part? Also my truck is NOT garage kept. It's out in the elements. I read somewhere a difference of 5 degrees in temperature can throw the compressor off and cause the rear end to sag. ?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the compressor is running in an attempt to raise the rear but it won't raise then there may be a leak in the system or a solenoid issue preventing air from making it to the bags. If the compressor runs and shuts off and the rear stays low though then a height sensor issue is likely.

Are you seeing any warnings regarding suspension on the dash?

Does it drop further on it's own when sitting for an extended period?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No warnings ⚠ on dash.
No it doesn't drop further the longer it sits. Not that I have noticed. Although I am just eyeballing the distance from my rear mud flaps to the ground.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the height sensor different from the stabilization sensor?
And would you explain what a solenoid does?
Also sometimes I hear air being released from the bags after the compressor runs and shuts off, like it thinks it's blown up too much and needs to release some air to lower...when in reality the arse end is still sagging.

Does the compressor continue to run and it doesn't raise, or does the compressor shut off yet the rear is still too low?

The height sensors are on the control arms and are used by the suspension module to know when to raise or lower the suspension.

The solenoids control flow into and out of the shocks.

Does the rear raise and lower at all or is it stuck at one height?