Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a whirring/moaning sound on my enclave. 75k miles.

Customer Question

I have a whirring/moaning sound on my enclave. 75k miles. bled power steering lines, and then replaced power steering pump. still makes noise. Dealer states it is normal and there is nothing else to check. THe noise is not normal. What should I do or have checked by someone else?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Does it make the noise all the time, even in park and idling and steering wheel straight ahead, or does it make it only on low speed turns, high speed turns, or other specific situations?

Please remember that I am not there to test drive it or inspect it, therefore I rely on you to provide as much detail as possible. And on occasion I may need to ask for more information or clarification

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the time, low whine/moan, but occassionally louder. Power Steering pump bled and then replaced. No change. Noise is heard in cabin but not outside. Dealer strangely "gave up"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dealer admits noise is there though.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, it isnt often that a power steering pump or rack and pinion will create a noise with steering straight ahead and not turning in either direction and just idling.

Remove the belt and crank engine and see if noise is still there. If it is, then issue is not power steering and will need to investigate further.

If noise disappears, then you will need a mechanic's stethoscope. Reinstall belt crank engine and listen to each pulley and component there with the stethoscope to isolate noise. If coming from the power steering pump, then this may be a pressure switch issue

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 2nd dealer reports dealer #1, who replaced the rack a year ago, used a non-oem rack which is not 100% matching up with other parts, and hence the noise. Now, to put in an OEM rack, which the extended warranty won't cover, it will cost $400 out of pocket to HOPEFULLY solve the problem. Does this make sense to you? Dealer #1 and #2 state GM will not help with non-oem issue and GM won't pay either dealer to replace the oem rack.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Very possible as many aftermarket parts are made quite to the same specs or measurements as the OEM equipment. See this many times.

Because an aftermarket part was used, GM wont cover it simply because it isnt theirs. This applies to the part and the labor. Not surprised by this decision since they didnt make the part that was installed. However, the dealer that installed the aftermarket part should cover it. They made the choice to go with an aftermarket part and should cover the costs to replace it with a GM OEM part. You may have to speak with the general manager or even the dealer owner on this to get it covered.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?