K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

On my 1999 Buick Park Avenue the DIC keeps blinking that

Customer Question

On my 1999 Buick Park Avenue the DIC keeps blinking that there is low radiator fluid and low air pressure. I have checked both and they are fine. By tapping any of the other buttons they do not go away. Just keeps flashing.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** low air pressure light may require a new sensor. Unplug coolant level light on bottom over overflow tank and jump wires together. Let me know if that shuts off coolant warning, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the DIC warns of an issue the issue will disappear when you tap any other button - whether it is a door open or low windshield washer fluid. These messages will not go away or stop no what I do.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Disconnect the low coolant pressure sensor and jump wires together, let me know if that keeps coolant message off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do tomorrow. Dark and cold outside and I have no heated garage in MN. Had snow flakes fall yesterday.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good, I'll talk to you then. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I jumped the low coolant level wires and it made no difference. I saw the low WW fluid, and low air, and door ajar (it was open) and then a minute later low engine coolant came on also. Just drove it 100 miles this morning and runs fine. A little chugging at idle when it is warmed up but otherwise fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 'windshield fluid low' is not going off anymore after playing with it. Maybe was not plugged in all the way?? When I start the car now the 'check air pressure' comes on right away, then after a short minute the 'low engine coolant' lights come on. Neither will cancel when the other buttons on the DIC are pushed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I filled the coolant reservoir a little beyond the full marks and the low coolant message it still going off,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have driven the car on a 300 mile trip and the temp gauge stays at the mid point the whole time. I don't see where the sensor would be on the car for low coolant. Is it on the block somewhere??
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

The low coolant sensor is located on the radiator tank. I'll post info on it's location below. You can jump it with a paperclip to see if it goes out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A paper clip across the center two posts eliminates the message of low coolant.
But aren't we missing the main point. Any message on the DIC goes away when you press another button. That way you can see your mileage, oil index, etc?
I am still getting a 'check tire pressure' warning and I have them at 37 front and 30 rear, balanced on both sides . You are suppose to go into the DIC and tell the computer this is normal. It does not allow you to work the other buttons. What's up with that??
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

I'll open this back up so another expert may help you with the DIC input problem. Someone should be with you shortly.