Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Why am I not getting air from my dash vents

Customer Question

why am I not getting air from my dash vents
Category: Buick
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

This would be due to a failed mode actuator. There is an electric motor (actuator) on the side of the heater case that moves the doors to direct airflow through the floor vents, dash vents, or defrost vents. Over time, the actuator wears and feedback goes outside of the normal limits. When this occurs, the actuator is forced into a default mode, usually defrost. To fix the problem, the mode actuator must be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the actuator is working. is there a a/c heater blend door actuator? and is it located?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

The actuator is located behind the middle portion of the dash. If you go under dash on left side, remove plastic cover then look up past the accelerator pedal to the side of the heater case. The actuator with the large plastic cam attached is the one that is faulty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can the actuator be tested on or off the rainier
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

You can check it on the car. Remove the HVAC fuse and then reinstall fuse. Turn the key on, do not touch any of the a/c controls. Actuator should cycle through all of the modes. If it does but then returns to defaullt mode, the actuator will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it hard to remove the actuator?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

The actuator is not too difficult to replace. Total time for replacement is usually under 1 hour.

The video in the link below shows the location of this actuator. Please note that the person that posted the video does not replace the actuator, they basically bypassed it to get airflow from the dash.

VIDEO

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you sent me a video of a chevy 2003 trailblazer. i have a 2004 buick rainier.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

The Rainier and Trailblazer (as well as the GMC Envoy) are all built on the same chassis and share the same components behind the dash. Dash layout is a little different but the heater case and actuators are identical.