Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

What does the stability system warning mean on

Customer Question

What does the stability system warning mean on*****
Category: Buick
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Does it say "service stability system" or "stability system active"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Service stability system
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

The service stability system warning comes on when the vehicle's on-board computer senses any type of mechanical or electrical problem. This could be anything from a misfire to a bad wheel speed sensor. Are you getting a check engine light also? When does the warning come on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing else comes on and I never saw it before
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

If you don't have a check engine light on also, then it is most likely a speed sensor problem. The vehicle uses speed sensors in each wheel to help control the anti-lock brake system and the traction control in inclement weather situations. If the warning goes off once you turn the car off then it could just be an electrical hiccup and nothing to worry about. If it stays on you will need to have the vehicle scanned with a diagnostic scanner to see which part of the system is causing the warning to illuminate.

Do you plan to make repairs yourself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I would probably drive it around a little, maybe take it for a carwash (sometimes debris trapped in the brakes can cause this warning to come on) and if the light persists, then take it in to have the system scanned for trouble codes and the repair shop should be able to pinpoint the problem.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need any additional information. Don't forget to rate (that's how we experts get paid).

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Please don't forget to rate. They don't pay us if we don't get a positive rating.