Pete, Buick Technician
Experience:  17 years Buick Technician experience and training.
14928985

89 buick regal custom 2.8 ltr car starts and shuts off. will

Customer Question

89 buick regal custom 2.8 ltr car starts and shuts off. will run if i give it a little throttle, but when it reaches 1700 rpm cuts out. sounds like it is laboring. changed , computer ,ign. module,coils. crank position sensor, idle air valve, egr. valve, throttle pos. sensor, fuel pump. Pressure is 40 psi.running., also changed fuel press. regulator. Been having stalling problems for a year off and on. sometimes it runs perfectly normal with lots of power, now it will start and idle kind of rough,, then die when throttle is applied, about 1700 rpms,.. driving me nuts. changed the fuel filter just before i had the fuel pump replaced. maybe i should change the filter again ?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.

One common issue I have seen that causes this here is a restriction with the catalytic converter itself.The exhaust catalytic converter plugs up over time and when this occurs this causes laboring or hard acceleration acting like it's running out of fuel or lack of power and in some cases even a stall out condition.

If you have not had a back pressure test done this needs done.If the back pressure exceeds 1.5 p.s.i. At any r.p.m. range this indicates the catalytic converter is restricted needing replaced to correct this here.I have had to replace quite a few of these for this issue.This being plugged can also limit the amount of r.p.m.s the engine can produce.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help if you like.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This car does not have a restricted exaust system when it runs right it has free flow out the tail pipe, sometimes it's like something kicks in and it runs smooth with lots of power. could it be a radiator level sensor or some other.?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I have seen in some cases where the engine coolant temp sensor can send a false temp signal to the computer and cause this issue as well here and can be common.If this sensor was not replaced and as common as it can fail and due to the year of this model it may need replaced for this issue here.

In some cases the honey comb inside the catalytic converter can break apart internally and allow the engine to run properly at some points and then the honey comb can vibrate around and plug off the exhaust partially and cause this here.If the engine coolant temp sensor does not correct this fault here if you can when it is acting up I would have an exhaust back pressure test done to see if it is restricted needing replaced.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok pete ill change the sensor. or remove the cat converter to see any change, this car seems to have these stalling problems mostly after it has been driven and restarting 30 minutes later,, at times when i think it is been running normal. sometimes stalls while moving on the road, when it 's cold too . P.S. Don't have much hair left !!!!! Oh changed the MAP sensor too !
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,let me know what you come up with here and if you need anything else.

Thanks Pete