FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Key is stuck in ignition on 2008 Buick Enclave. Can rotate

Customer Question

Key is stuck in ignition on 2008 Buick Enclave. Can rotate key to on position but car won't turn over. Can't rotate back past ACC position. Windows, radio, and dash lights work. Lift gate, moonroof, hazards, etc don't. Battery was fine but when a charger was put on it was only showing 25%. Charged it to 100 and tried again but still nothing. Put charger back on and showed 25% again.
Category: Buick
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. The battery needs to be load tested first. If the battery has an internal short this will occur even though the charger may show that it is at 100%. If the battery is fine then most of the time this is caused by a failing ignition switch. The ignition switch is a very common failure on this vehicle. I would fully test the battery first though. Let me know if you need more help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The battery is a die hard battery that is 18 months old. Pulled it and took it to Sears. They tested it and said it tested good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last night I was on my iPad so gave a short synopsis of the problem. I have written down step by step below how the problem started. Maybe this will give you some better insight.I was trying to get the XM working on it. Long story short, I couldn't get the XM to allow anything other than channel 1 and 0 so XM advised me to disconnect the power from the battery to reset the radio and then retry. I pulled the positive cable, waited a few seconds, then reconnected. I forgot to pull the keys and still had them in the ignition in the ACC position. Now I'm have all sorts of problems:Things that DON'T work
- Can rotate the keys to on but car will not start or even turn over or make a clicking noise.
- Can't rotate the keys back past the ACC position so I can't remove them from the ignition.
- Electronic door locks don't work
- Lift gate won't operate.
- Moon roof won't operate
- Hazard lights don't work along with blinkers
- etc....Things that DO still work
- Power windows work.
- Radio comes on and seems to work fine.
- All dash lights work
- Headlights workI have tried pulling positive and negative cables but still nothing. I put a batter charger on and it's only showing 25% full so I am leaving it on for a while to see if that's the issue.I haven't check ALL the fuses but most of them, especially the ones related to the affected equipment and they are just fine.But I'm at a loss. I wouldn't think it's the battery because everything was working just fine before that and I would think a stuck key would be related.Something to add. I thought maybe it could be a short somewhere of some kind? I put my volt meter on continuity and it shouldn't show any continuity. Right away it beeped for a split second then the OHM readout started low and then climbed steadily. Thought that is extremely odd. Makes me think it isn't related to the ignition.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should add that the continuity test was between positive and negative leads on the Enclave without the battery hooked up, not on the battery itself.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the description. It does sound like the ignition switch. It can be the body control module but that is not as common.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not saying I don't believe you, but the ignition switch can make things act this funny? Like I said, blower, windows, etc work but certain other things don't (locks, moonroof, lift gate, etc.). I would think the ignition if it was just the vehicle not starting.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

The ignition switch on this vehicle sends an on signal to several circuits which can result in different modules turning circuits on and off. From the wide variation of issues I would lean more towards an issue with the body control module though. I would even check the negative battery cable ground connections as they can cause a serious of random electrical problems.