Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

98 buick century. I put a replacement dash cluster in and

Customer Question

98 buick century. I put a replacement dash cluster in and the speedometer is not working. looking for a direction to start checking
Category: Buick
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** was cluster replaced to begin with? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cluster was replaced because the diods on the back were burnt and there were no lights.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Ok, it sounds like your replacement cluster is the problem. As you know there is no cable and this is all electronically controlled. There is no fuse or anything else that would cause problem either. If vehicle speed sensor was problem check engine light would be on and vehicle wouldn't shift. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dash and odometer had no lights. The speedometer was also not working. I bought a replacement and everything was working fine. All of the sudden the speedometer stopped working. I tried an older dash cluster from a 99 buick century and got the same results. The service engine soon light is on. Should I have the codes pulled to see if that's the problem?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Yes, have codes checked and let me know what they are. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks,
I will get back to you.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dan the codes I got had nothing to do with the speed sensor. But they are P1676, P1665 and P0102. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I'm assuming check engine light was on before replacing cluster to begin with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like your ignition switch may be the problem. Check for voltage at the windows circuit breaker when the windows are inoperative. If low voltage, check the ERLS fuse or the HTR A/C IGN fuse in the under hood electrical center. If all the above fuses are low voltage (including some others related to circuit 300, Orange), replace the ignition switch. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.