Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

My sons' 2001 LeSabre air level control seems fully extended

Customer Question

Dave, my sons' 2001 LeSabre air level control seems fully extended and the rear suspension has very little movement with the jounce test.
When he goes down the freeway and encounters bumps and dips, the rear of the car skitters all over and the ride is very rough. There is no dash warning that I can see saying anything, much less Service ELC.
My question is "Is the level control sensor all electrical or is it pneu-mechanical, and where is it?
Or do you think that it is a different problem?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

The rear of the car has an electrical level sensor that signals a compressor and an exhaust valve. Your problem is either in the level sensor or in the exhaust valve. The exhaust valve is built onto the compressor. The compressor assembly is located at the passenger side rear of the car. You can connect a jumper wire between the white wire at the compressor assembly and a good ground with the key ON. This should activate the exhaust valve and allow the rear of the car to go back down. If grounding the white wire works, replace the level sensor. If it does not work then the exhaust valve is bad and will need to be replaced.

You can disconnect the air line at one of the rear shocks to release the air and let the suspension down to normal height. To keep the suspension from airing up again you would need to remove the ELC fuse.