Gary
Gary, Buick Technician
Experience:  15 years master GM tech and mater ASE tech
19513769

Wipers run at low speed on low and gh speed setting. 2013

Customer Question

Wipers run at low speed on low and High speed setting. 2013 Buick Enclave. had wiper motor replaced already. Dealer check body control module and other electrical circuits and could not find anything wrong
Category: Buick
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Since the motor has been replaced and the BCM checked out fine. That means they would of also verified the multifunction switch signal to the BCM is good. Why they stopped there with there diag makes no sense, so it makes me wonder if there diag steps were even accurate. If it was then the wiper speed control relay is the next part that could be to blame.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My wife drives the car to the nursing home a lot to help care for her mother. I haven't been able to check anything on it. I did switch the the low and high speed relay in the fuse box under the hood which make no difference if that's what your are referring to.

That indicates the BCM check out, possibly was not confirmed there was no issue with the BCM. Do you have a diagnostic tool and understand wire diagrams and electrical testing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a electric tester with a oms meter. I can test and read these but not an expert.

Great look over the wire diagram below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/13buickenclave.pdf

At the multifunction switch, see the wipers to high and OHM test across the tan/black and light green. You should get no resistance. Let me know those results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have to take the trim off of the bottom of the steering wheel and leave everything connected. Also I read in other places to disarm the air bag. Is this necessary or any danger of it going off.

I have never had an air bag accidentally go off being I often have to do electrical testing in the steering column, though if your worried disconnect the battery prior to working and yes the steering column shrouds need to be removed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I test these wires does the key need to be on or the wiring harness disconnected? The no resistance u spoke of would it be the same to use the audible like when you touch the test leads together.

The meters audible tone just responds with the presence of continuity it does not tell you if there is resistance, so it is not accurate for this test.

The key is off, the connector can be back probed or the connector removed and those pins tested on the switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was no resistance. It read 0.0 I had no idea it was going to be that hard to get to or connect.

Multi function switch is good with those results. Remove the wiper speed control relay. Pin 86 must be a ground when commanding the wipers on high with the key on, if its not then the BCM is bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
R u talking about the 2 relays on the right front fender well. If so which one and how do I test it. Could you call me(###) ###-####

Sorry I can not show you diagrams over the phone.

Use the link below, you remove the relay and OHM test this pin to ground to see if there is no resistance.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/wiperhigh.png

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the high speed relay out. Which pin is #86

There should be a pin chart on the bottom or side of the relay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was making sure I was making a good connection. The meter never changed. It stayed on 1.0 I had the key on & the wipers on high position

That reading indicates teh BCM is not sending a ground to the relay meaning the BCM is to blame.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could I jump it to a ground to see if it works on high. Which wire going to the motor is high. Could I run 12 volts to it with a toggle switch for high. Is the body control module easy to replace or expensive. I've already spent $470 on this car with no success. Am I through with the dash so I can resemble it. That's why I wanted to talk to you on the phone

According to the diagram the dark green wire to the wiper motor is powered to achieve high speed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the bcm located. Can I replace it myself or do I need it reprogrammed at a dealer.

The BCM is under the left side of the dash and requires a dealer equivalent diagnostic tool to program it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I run 12 volts to the dark green wire connection will the wipers run at high speed with a direct connection. Can you guarantee if I have the BCM replaced will it make the wipers operate normal on high speed. It's a lot of expense just to guess at.

Based on your tests results if done correct then I am 90% confident its the BCM. I can never gaurantee it, being I am not there. I am using your eyes and hands.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I wanted to test just the wiper motor with the wires disconnected and ground the black ground which terminal or wire color could I run 12volts to just to see if the motor is good at high speed.

Its apparent the assistance I am providing is not of benefit, being this has gone on almost a month now. I feel its best to opt out and let someone else try to help you.

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

new expert here did you still need help ?