Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years as a Tech
7276279

QUESTION} ac blowing hot...took it to shop, they diagnosed

Customer Question

QUESTION} ac blowing hot...took it to shop, they diagnosed as having a ac hose problem, told them to fix that. Go to pick up my car and they tell me that fixing the hose has now caused the compressor to blow from too much pressure! My car is a 99 but it only has 75,000 miles on it! How can a compressor blow due to changing a ac hose and should my mechanic be responsible for this?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Replacing a bad hose would not cause the compressor to fail. If the compressor is actually bad it was most likely that was the problem all along, unfortunately if the hose was leaking there is no way they would have been able to read the pressure with out fixing the hose and recharging the system. Have they gave you a systems pressure reading with the new hose installed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have not. They have not even mentioned one. The owner himself admitted to me that he went back to check on the guy and reminded him of a wrench and both of my ac caps sitting on the top of my engine....the guy still forgot and shut my hood. I wondered why my hood was not flush and took it back to shop within 5 mins...thats when the owner told me this and offered me discount upon discount. But the main shop mechanic is trying to feed me the line "your compressor went bad because its an old system and the hise getting fixed caused this to happen"...prior to this i had brought it to them to charge with dye to diagnose the problem! I would think they should have known at that time if it was bad
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

I would have to agree, adding Freon and dye should have told them if the compressor was bad before they replaced the hose and if they went ahead and replaced the hose then they should have known the compressor was okay, it sounds like they do not know what they are doing and are just guessing. Unfortunately getting them to cover this my be a battle. I think what you need to do is get the car out of there and seek a second opinion.