Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones,
Experience:  GM A Tech at Straub Buick GMC
15093763

I'm thinking about buying a Buick with 2.0 l turbo DOHC SIDI

Customer Question

I'm thinking about buying a Buick with 2.0 l turbo DOHC SIDI with VVT engine. I normally keep my cars for 10 years and wonder if turbos hold up over 100,000 miles?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Daniel Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to the site. Thanks for coming.

I'm ***** *****.

I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

In the many years I have worked at dealerships I have only replaced very few turbo's. The main thing to do is to change your oil at proper intervals. I would not go by the oil life monitor system in the vehicle. Because sometimes the message will not come on for 10-15k miles, depending on you driving habits. Also check your oil level regularly. Not many vehicles today have a indicator on the dash to tell you if the oil is low.

I have seen many engines damaged due to people going by the oil life monitor system and not checking their oil level. Which after 10-15k miles will be low.

If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.
If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service.

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.

Thank You
***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My brother in law is a mechanic for a CarMax - he said they send cars they get for trade ins with turbos to wholesale because the turbos usually start leaking oil and need rebuild which can be about a $2000 repair. Are you saying this is not normal if you change the oil frequently?

I have worked for GM Dealerships for over 20 yrs and I have only replaced very few turbo's.

Also haven't seen many changed if the car is maintained properly. Like 3000-6000 miles on a oil change.

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.

Thank You
***** *****

Thank You
***** *****

Just wanted to get an update on how you made out with vehicle.
Thanks
Please take the time to leave feedback and rate my service for my response to your problem. I don't get paid unless you rate my service.

Thank you for posting your question. Your business is very valuable to us.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your response was informative but not as much detail to justify your response in my mind. Don't want to pay extra for a phone call - feel I already paid a lot to get a standard answer. Needless to say I'm not buying a car with a turbo engine. Thanks.

The information I gave you was from my experience and extensive training that i have received in the over 20 years working at GM Dealerships. If you were to buy the car New and change your oil regularly by mileage and not the oil life monitor and changed the air filter at the correct interval, you should have no problem with the turbo.

One of the most common causes for turbo failure is a lack of lubrication.

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.

Thank You
***** *****