rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a 1996 buick park ave. base. i was out driving

Customer Question

i have a 1996 buick park ave. base. i was out driving yesterday and whenever i took my foot off the throttle around 2000rpm the engine dies and the tach drops straight to zero. Car starts right back up but won`t run under 2000rpm. Just before this i stopped at Autozone to have a code reading. p1406 egr. when i pulled in car was running fine .Larry
Category: Buick
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.

I have been in this business since 1975. I am ASE certified and an instructor. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Be patient please!

I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me.If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why, so I can go another direction.

That valve is digital, not mechanical, so the pintal valve underneath it is probably broken in the open position, or there is carbon restricting it from closing. I would replace it and clean the intake and exhaust ports underneath it. Hope this helps you.

Thanks, Ron