Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a 2007 Buick Rendezvous CX. The battery light started

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Buick Rendezvous CX. The battery light started to come on awhile ago when we would accelerate up an incline. Now the battery light and traction light will come on. We usually hear a beep when that happens. Have also had a condition where the DIC will display "error", the fuel gauge says empty and we get a fuel low message, the dash warning lights turn on, and sometimes you can hear a relay click and the headlights shut off for a few seconds. The battery is a year old. I checked the connections to the battery, the ground strap near the passenger side headlight, and also the ground to the motor by the starter. I reseated the connectors to the BCM today. Nothing seems to help. Any ideas?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.
What is the voltage at the battery with engine off and what is it with engine idling with no accessories on and then with ac and lights on?
Any symptoms of low battery voltage - starter dragging when starting, lights dim or flickering?
If voltages good and no symptoms of low voltage, we may be looking at faulty instrument cluster, which is a common issue on this vehicle.
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12.75 volts engine off
14.4 volts engine on
13.8 volts with lights, AC, and rear defrost on
14.0 volts with lights and AC onHave not noticed the starter dragging at all. The headlights don't flicker or dim, they don't get noticeably brighter with higher RPM.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, so definitely no charging system concerns.
While it will require verifying with a full function scan tool, the problem is going to be a faulty instrument cluster panel, which is a fairly common issue on this vehicle. You can pull it and check for loose connections or wiring, but I suspect they will be fine.
The cluster is also a control module computer and will the new one will require programming with a scan tool and gm software
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks