Gary
Gary, Buick Technician
Experience:  15 years master GM tech and mater ASE tech
19513769

O8 Lucerne fuel pump relay out replaced it burned out 20

Customer Question

o8 Lucerne fuel pump relay burnt out replaced it burned out 20 miles later replaced fuel pump module with AC delco fuel pump module relay burnt again in about 20 miles fuse box looked ok should I replace it or check for some other problem
Category: Buick
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

will one of the terminals on the relay physically be brown or burnt or have black marks on it when this happens ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
terminal 87 will be smoky brown on side of relay and bottom of relay alittle black
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

the only thing that will cause that kind of heat is high resistance and high resitance is caused by a bad connection

remove the relay and the terminal in the box the relay plugs into take something like a small dentist pick or something like that and tweak over the terminal center in the box so it is just about closed off visually

do that to all 4 terminals so you know for a fact when a new relay is plugged in all 4 are making a good connection and that should correct this issue

the brown colored is the bad connection of the terminals which will cause this problem

if by an odd chance you can not get the terminal closed off enough or it still will not make good contact and or does this again you will need to replace the fuse box to correct this problem

but most can be fixed by tweaking over the center of the female terminals in the box

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I drilled out the 3 retaining nuts and opened it crimped the connectors with needle nose plyers . but still getting relay burtnout
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if it still is doing this the box has to be changed

the witness marks on # ***** terminal is the terminal or connection issue since the source of a bad connection causing too much heat is the burn / black or brown marks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks gary ill change it just want to be sure the want another part being the culprit!
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

nothing else can be

let me know how you make out

you can always get me back through this post anytime for free with any follow up with this question even after you rate us here at Justanswer !

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?

dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer !