rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a 1996 buick regal. Having problems with it staying

Customer Question

i have a 1996 buick regal. Having problems with it staying running & even starting.
i cleaned the mass air flow sensor & changed the crank sensor. I have to put the car in neutral to crank the car & when i take my foot of the gas pedal the car shuts off.
I found out today after looking at the car if i take the vaccum line off the top port on the troddle body the car will run, but if i put it back on it shuts off immediately.
Category: Buick
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Ron and I can help you. We need to check the fuel pressure with a gage, check engine compression for a possible jumped timing chain and check for a bad fuel pressure regulator or leaking fuel injectors in case it's running too rich. If the plugs are black and sooty, it's too rich. Keep me posted, and I can still assist you ater you have rated me too.

Thanks, Ron