Gary
Gary, Buick Technician
Experience:  15 years master GM tech and mater ASE tech
19513769

1994 Buick le sabre, won't crank, new battery, new starter,

Customer Question

1994 Buick le sabre, won't crank, new battery, new starter, still won't crank, it tries, but can't!
Category: Buick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have checked just about everything, I'm mechanically inclined, always fix my own cars, yes I'm a girl, but I can drop, and rebuild my own transmission, rebuild carb., work on my own engines, that's why I'm stumped, it's nothing I would think it's be, not timing belt, lifters, crank shaft.... Give me your best shot, tell you if I've already tried that as well...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

the engine will physically crank over and just not fire up ?

or the engine will not physically crank over at all ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine attempts to crank, changed starter as thought that was what it was after doing the tap starter attempt to start test, changed starter, now it's almost like the new starter is either defective in someway as now it only clicked, and half tries to start, worse shape than it was with original starter so I'm figuring that was Not the problem at all, I've tried so much, ran for codes, I'm at total loss and cast still won't start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
car still won't start Not and cast still won't start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've never had an issue like this where I couldn't figure it out... Frustrated
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if this starter will not physically turn this engine over and either go very slow or just click then we either have a power problem to the starter from the battery or the possibility of the engine being restricted from turning over due to an accessory the belt runs or an internal issue

i am assuming both battery cables are clean and tight at the battery and where they connect to the engine and starter ?

the battery has been tested for volts and amps and for a bad cell ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
battery tested, I've even removed belly and manually turned to insure not internal problem, yes I thought maybe the bottom of engine was done and at that point wouldn't be worth fixing , I don't get it, no codes pop that would identify the issue we are having
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Belt not belly
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok as long as it turns over by hand fairly easy was my concern

if it turns over fine by hand if you connect jumper cables to the car with the red jumper clamp right onto the big power wire stud at the starter solenoid and the black jumper cable to a good ground on the engine will it still do this ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
same issue and If I can't figure this out today I'm removing new starter, and junking car, I've paid a mobile mechanic, felt stupid doing so, he was no help and still had to pay for nothing!!! My son in law is a genius with computers and voltage meters, etc, he tested the volts, amps and we're confused for IT spreads we have power going where IT should but no starting this car........ I'm really beginning to think I should junk the old girl, sadly
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

so with jumper cables connected like i said with the other ends of the jumpers to a running vehicle it still will not crank over ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I honestly don't think I'll find the issue without a complete over haul of engine and to be honest it's a 94 and not worth a rebuild
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it won't crank, actually that was the very first thing we tried before the tap starter test!!!!
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if it did NOT crank over with the jumpers like i said and the belt is off the engine and still will not crank over

the starter is defective OR there is an internal issue binding the engine from being able to be turned over with the starter

there is nothing else it could be

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then it's time to climb back under remove starter and return as defective as you can easily turn over by hand with belt off, I guess that's what I shall do right now
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

sounds good

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

let me know how it goes ?