rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a 2002 Buick Century with an intermittent crank, no

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Buick Century with an intermittent crank, no start issue. It cranks, but won't start. It's been happening for approximately 5 years. It used to only happen every few months and retrying about 10 minutes later would always result in it starting. More recently, the issue has been happening approximately every other time I try to start the car and I'm not so lucky to have it start in 10 minutes. Often I'll wait 24 hours with no luck and need it towed. Other times it'll start in 10 minutes.
I took it to a GM dealer and they replaced the BPM, lock cylinder, and fuel regulator. It also has a new fuel pump. When it's failing, there is spark and good, consistent fuel pressure. Last week, I had it at a new mechanic and they observed a P1626.
Occasionally, I also get a P0341 but that isn't always present when this issue occurs.
This week, I tried install a Newrockies bypass but that couldn't learn properly. I also had a remote car starter install today - hoping that would bypass the passkey 2 system but the same problem occurs.
Really in need of a solution.
Category: Buick
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Ok, with this type of issue and for such a long time happening, I thought it would be best to send you the GM security system information. I'm certain you will resolve this issue with this. Please let me know if you need more help and I will continue to assist you even after you have rated me.

Thanks so much,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron. I definitely have a Passkey II system but I don't think anything you sent me leads to a solution. Since the issue is intermittent, the relearn isn't the permanent solution. What can cause the intermittent issue? Please keep in mind that both the BCM, lock cylinder, keys were replaced in the past 2 months.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

I know, I just think there's a learning error they may be missing. I don't think there are any defective parts or anything like that. Please take the time to read what I sent you, it's easy to miss a step in the re-learning procedure. keep me posted.

Thanks, Ron

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.
If bypassing it is something you're interested in doing, here's a You Tube video on how to do it. I would prefer to have it working, so there are other videos for that as well.
Thanks, Ron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oBHpwwcsRA
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron. I'm experiencing something different than the gentleman in that video. His car is not cranking. Mine cranks, fires and shuts off after about 1 second. Then when I try to restart, it just cranks cranks crank cranks and never starts.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Ok, is the security light on or flashing when this happens?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the security light is not on.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Then we may be barking up the wrong tree. You said you have spark and fuel when this happens, how do you know this exactly? Please be precise in this answer.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

OK, here is some information from GM. Keep in mind that the symptoms may all be different, and this is worth looking into. If this is not your problem then I would look at the ignition switch losing power to the ECM intermittently. I will still help you after you have rated me.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We may be but like I said, the most recent error code my mechanic saw while this was happening was the P1626 and a chevy dealer was also trying to resolve a security error when they replaced the BCM and cyclinder.I used a spark tester on the front three and used a fuel pressure gauge. I'll be uploading a video in a few moments so you can see it failing and see my tests.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BTW, that latest doc you sent me sounds somewhat promising. I do have an ABS light on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do I find the A/C Accumulator? Are there any "under the hood" diagrams that will help me find it?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Here it is, glad I could help. Looking forward to an excellent review.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is a video of what I run into: http://youtu.be/hKxBVOq1b3M
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.
Can't view
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Try this https://youtu.be/hKxBVOq1b3M
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a look at that wiring harness near the AC Accumulator. Someone has worked on that section before because there was some tape near the suspect area. It doesn't seem like protecting the wires will fix the problem but will likely prevent it from getting worse. Is there a wiring spec that would tell me what wires in that harness to look at?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That service bulletin makes mention of "Refer to Wiring Repairs in the Wiring Systems sub-section of the
Service Manual."
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, so I be looking into that camshaft error P0341? Could that cause a no start? Any easy tests?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

No, it should still start. Testing would include a lab scope

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
RonEven with a scope, I'd need to know what specific wires to inspect. Within that cluster of wires, which ones should I be focusing on? Which ones - if damaged - would cause a no start?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

It seems that our conversation has shifted quite a bit, now involving multiple questions about many unrelated things. I have offered many items to check for the original problem and a few others. If you were satisfied with those lengthy conversations, please reply positively so I can continue to assist you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ron,
I'll be happy to give you credit when I feel I have an answer that provides some actionable take-away. The original answer of the re-learn procedures is not a solution for an intermittent problem. Right now, I have nothing that helps me. The wiring harness seems like a good lead but I need more specifics.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

No diagrams are required for this, you're simply checking the harness for chafing, then you can do the repairs from there. All the wiring is still intact, just rubbed through. I'm doing my best for you, considering you have had this issue for over (5) years and spent "who knows how much" so far and I don't have the option of seeing the car as others had.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you implying that intact wires resting against the a/c accumulator would cause a no start condition?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Not me, GM wrote the service bulletin. I don't question the engineers.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Just an FYI, I had a vehicle last week in the shop that; every time you turned on the radio, #6 cylinder began to misfire without setting a code. I found the problem and fixed that one. Do you know what those wires go to that run across the accumulator?

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Something else of interest for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for sending this along but the car always cranks.When it first fails, its starts for about 1 second, shuts off and then I can't restart it. It just keeps cranking
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Another to to check is the ignition switch not sending power to the (S) terminal on the starter solenoid when this is happening. If there is no battery power there at that time, the switch would be bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If there was a bad ignition switch, I wouldn't be getting spark, right
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please refer me to another mechanic. I am not happy with the service I'm receiving. I though the correct process to engage another mechanic was to open a new question but just read through the support and it told me to request a new mechanic.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

I see you gave me a negative rating, which I did not deserve. I've been sticking with you on this from the start and trying to help you every way I could, even when you were inconsistent. I'm sure you didn't even read or look into all that I sent you because you are seeking a quick fix. All the other experts can view everything you and I have discussed, even in your multiple posts. Doubtfully they'll want to approach this. I did stumble across the fix too by the way, would you like it?

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ron,Believe me when I say that I want to ask a question and give someone an excellent rating but that's not what was warranted here. My rational:#1 - In your very first message, you wanted me to give you a good rating. That's ridiculous. I did not have an answer at that point and felt that I would get less attention the minute I provided a good rating.#2 - Your answers were not thoughtful. I provide great detail on what I encountered and many of your answers ignored many of my notes. For example, relearn won't help with intermittent. Ignition switch, I believe, controls spark - which I have.#3 - When I asked for specifics (regarding the wiring harness, you didn't have them.)#4 - You maliciously tried to prevent me from getting an answer from another mechanic.I am still looking for assistance. I'd be happy to change my rating if you want to start paying attention to this question and thinking it through. If not, please point me in the direction of another mechanic.