rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I've been dealing with my window fogging up every time

Customer Question

I've been dealing with my window fogging up every time it rains. It also does it when the a/c is on why is this happening?
Category: Buick
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

The most common cause is the heater core leaking and what you're seeing is residue from coolant that's in the radiator and heater core when you use defrost. The heater core would need to be replaced to fix this issue. Hope this helped you, please let me know.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it matter if it's on the outside or inside of the window
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Probably not, if the outside dew point and humidity readings are right for it to occur.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok because it only happens when it rains. An it's super humid outside. My wipers wipe it off but it comes right back. I do have heat an a/c. They both work fine. Though I do get a nasty smell. It smells like stale water. Like a wet rag that's just been sitting in the washing machine for a day or two.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Ok, check under the cowl then for leafs or debris blocking outside ventilation. The cowl is right under the bottom of the windshield outside and in front of the hood. You may have to remove the shield to see in there real good. Hope this helps you, I can continue assisting you after you have rated me too.

Thanks again, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I just checked my cowl an there's nothing in there. Just a air filter I never knew I had. It wasn't wet or all that dirty. What else could it be. An how can I know forsure if it's the heater core?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Ok, the next I would do is a pressure test on the cooling system. Also check the passenger/front floor for dampness closest to the front. the pressure test should reveal this issue though.

Thanks, Ron