FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Bought a 2004 buick rainier. the previos said he had to

Customer Question

hello eric, bought a 2004 buick rainier. the previos said he had to jumpstart it on day due to low battery and then had battery replaced. It now blows hot air on the driver side and cool air on the passenger side. I assumed the actuator was bad and replaced it. still doing the same thing
Category: Buick
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Did this occur right after the battery was replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told it occurred right after the jump start, and I checked all the fuses.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. After a power loss on this vehicle is is common for the programming in the HVAC module to become corrupted. You can check the fuses for this system and try reseting it. To do this remove the HVAC, HTR and AC fuses from the under hood and interior fuse boxes. Replace and blown fuses. If they are fine then remove the negative battery cable. Reinstall the fuses and then the cable and see if it resets.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did not resolve problem, still no air on driver side.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No more ideas bobby, because I did the reset and it blew cold air on the driver side, killed the engine and not it's doing it again
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. I was not online earlier. If it helped momentarily and then went back to the way that it was then it is more than likely the HVAC module. Which actuator did you replace?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced all three actuators under the dash, I did notice that while the driver actuator was off, my driver vents worked and blew cold air. So what about this hvac module, are we talking about the one in the fuse panel under the hood?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

The HVAC module is the control unit itself. Lets try a simple recalibration. With the key off remove the HVAC B fuse only. Leave it out for 20 seconds. Then reinstall it and turn the key on to the run position. Allow the system 1 minute to recalibrate. If it continues then you need the module.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can it be the hvac module be the problem? When I took the actuator off the passenger side started working. I think it is the setting on the actuator door.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like the module cannot hold the program very long before it gets corrupted. If it worked momentarily after the reset and then went back to the way that it was then the computer is not adjusting accordingly. Having it reprogrammed by the dealer may help.