Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

I have a 1994 Buick Park Avenue. Recently it has been acting

Customer Question

I have a 1994 Buick Park Avenue. Recently it has been acting up and having multiple problems. The first thing I have noticed that has started recently is that the throttle seems to be sticking. It will idle anywhere from 1000 to 3000 rpm and stick anywhere
in that range either driving on the highway, down city roads, anywhere. I did find some leaky vacuum lines that I replaced but the problem still remains. Im guessing it is either the throttle position sensor, idle air control, or just a sticking throttle that
needs to be cleaned up. Does this sound like the correct diagnosis? If so how can I test for this without just replacing parts hoping to get the right one. If not, what other things could cause this and what tests can I preform to diagnose the problem. The
other issue is that after driving for approximately 30-45 minutes, after the car has warmed up, it will suddenly begin to studder and misfire with the rpm guage bouncing around between 300-900 rpm and struggle to remain running. This usually happens when I
stop at a red light or park somewhere. It will usually studder and misfire for a short period of time and then eventually die and refuse to stay running when trying to restart it. After letting the car sit and cool off for anywhere from 15-30 minutes the problem
seems to go away and the car will start up and run normally again and function for anywhere from 5-20 minutes before the studdering and stalling returns again. I used my scan tool and found the camshaft position sensor was faulty. I replaced it with a new
one but the problem still remains. I had no error codes for about 2 weeks after replacing the camshaft position sensor even though this problem with the car continued, and then today the code returned but was listed in the history codes when pulled up with
my scan tool. The exact code is P0341 Ign System Problem Camshaft Sensor Intermittant Signal. Not sure if possible there is something wrong with the wiring going to the sensor or what, but hoping to get this problem figured out and corrected so I dont have
to repeatedly pull over and let the car sit everytime it acts up in order to get going again.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is***** have over 20 years experience repairing vehicles. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating please let me know.

The very first thing I would do is clean the throttle housing. Get an old toothbrush (one you don't use or plan on using ever again) When you remove the air filter tube there is a honey comb in there. remove the ring from the outside carefully. Try not to damage honey comb. it should just pull straight out. Now with the key off and out if ignition open throttle by hand and super clean it with carb cleaner and the tooth brush til shiny. Reassemble. The car will likely start real hard. This is OK. Let is idle for 10 minutes or so and it should idle better. You may have to drive it for it to relearn the idle position. See if the other problem went away. let me know the results.