Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones,
Experience:  GM A Tech at Straub Buick GMC
15093763

We have a 2008 buick allure and it is using oil, sometimes 2

Customer Question

we have a 2008 buick allure and it is using oil, sometimes 2 litres between oil changes at 6,000 km
the GM dealer tells us this is not uncommon
what are your comments on this?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Daniel Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to the site. Thanks for coming. I'm ***** *****.

I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

Can you provide me with the VIN#, so I can do some checks for bulletins.

Thank you for posting your question. Your business is very valuable to us.

Thanks

***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
VIN #: 2G4WF582481277810

Here are the GM Guidelines for oil consumption. You seem to be close to the guidelines.

Oil Consumption

The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles referenced is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi).

Important: This rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, that are driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule, with less than 58,000 km (36,000 mi), or driven at legal speeds in an unloaded (for trucks) condition.

Important: This rate does not apply to vehicles that are driven in an aggressive manner, at high RPM, high speeds, or in a loaded condition (for trucks). Oil consumption for vehicles driven under these conditions will be more.

Many factors can affect a customer's concern with oil consumption. Driving habits and vehicle maintenance vary from owner to owner. Thoroughly evaluate each case before deciding whether the vehicle in question has abnormal engine oil consumption.

There is a bulletin for An engine that has excessive oil consumption uses 0.9L (1 qt) of oil or more within 3 200 km (2,000 mi).

#05-06-01-035A: L26, L32, L36, L67 Excessive Oil Consumption (Replace Exhaust Valve Stem Seals) - (Oct 2, 2007)

Subject: L26, L32, L36, L67 Excessive Oil Consumption (Replace Exhaust Valve Stem Seals)

Models: 2005 Buick LeSabre, Park Avenue

2005-2008 Buick Allure (Canada Only), LaCrosse

2006–2008 Buick Lucerne

2005 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo

2005 Pontiac Bonneville

2005-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix

with 3800 Series II, III V6 Engine (VINs 2, 4, K, 1 — RPOs L26, L32, L36, L67)

This bulletin is being revised to update the model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-06-01-035 (Section 06 — Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers may comment on excessive oil consumption on 3800 Series II and Series III engines. An engine that has excessive oil consumption uses 0.9L (1 qt) of oil or more within 3 200 km (2,000 mi).

Cause

This condition may be caused by the retaining ring on the exhaust valve stem seal not securely holding the seal on the cylinder head boss. If this occurs, the exhaust valve stem seal(s) may move off the cylinder head boss and no longer provide a sealing function between the exhaust valve stem and the valve guide.

Correction

Inspection and/or Replacement of Exhaust Valve Stem Seals

Notice: Oversize valve stem seals are available. Make sure the correct valve stem seals are installed. An OIL CONSUMPTION concern can be created by installing the oversize valve stem seals. The oversize valve stem seals are marked black in color and are NOT to be used UNLESS installing valves with oversize valve stems.

Notice: There are 2 different valve stem seals used – one for exhaust valves and one for intake valves. Exhaust valve stem seals are green in color and have “EX” molded into the top of the seal. Intake valve stem seals are blue in color and have “IN” molded into the top of the seal. Using the wrong seal on a exhaust or intake valve can also contribute to oil consumption. The correct seal usage should be verified while checking for correctly seated exhaust valve stem seals.

(1)Correctly Installed Exhaust Valve Stem Seal

(2)Incorrectly Installed Exhaust Stem Seal (the seal is not seated on the valve guide and the cylinder head boss.)

1. Follow the appropriate Service Information for the vehicle you are working on to gain access to cylinder head exhaust valves on both cylinder banks. Remove the engine valve rocker arm covers, the exhaust rocker arms and the exhaust valve springs.
  2. Carefully inspect each exhaust valve stem seal for engagement on the exhaust valve guide (refer to the previous illustration). If one or more exhaust valve seals is found to be incorrectly installed, replace all the exhaust valve seals.
  3. If no trouble is found with the exhaust valve seal seating or usage, refer to the service manual Oil Consumption Diagnosis to investigate other sources of oil consumption.

You have L26 - 3800 SERIES III SFI V6 ENGINE option.

If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.
If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service.

Thank-you
***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have had GM vehicles for many, many years and have never had one that used oil between oil changes. We have another GM vehicle right now with 270,000 km and it doesn't use oil between oil changes. I wonder why the newer vehicle with 75000 km should use oil???

Because either the Engineers that are designing them or the use of cheaper parts is causing this.

I have worked for GM dealerships for over 25yrs and it seems to be getting worse.

I have a 1994 GMC truck with over 220,000 miles and it doesn't use any oil in between oil changes.

Thank-you
***** *****

Hi, Just wanted to get an update on how you made out with vehicle.