Chris (aka- Moose), Buick Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My 2004 Buick Rainier Has Intermittent AC at idle. When the

Customer Question

Hello, My 2004 Buick Rainier Has Intermittent AC at idle. When the Engine is cold it has no throttle unless you push hard on the gas (Almost like a dead spot in the Peddle) I changed the TB and still no avail. What Sensor could be causing this?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.

Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.

I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.

If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still looking for an answer to my issue

We are only allowed to address on issue per question. Would you like me to address the AC or throttle issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Throttle issue Please. I have already been Charged the $22 dollars Two days ago and have not received any answers as of yet?

How long must the engine run for the throttle to then work?

About what percentage must you press the throttle before the rpms start increasing?

So far, faulty sensor in the accelerator pedal position sensor, look to be to blame.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My skill level with cars is moderate. I will give you a quick run down of the issue. When starting my my car cold (aprox 4 or more hours of sitting) when I begin to drive. It will coast at idle without using peddle like It should. When I do push the peddle I must push it past a "certin" spot usually 40% it will then take off fairly quickly as it should when responding to that ammout of throttle. But if I take off slowly, and it shifts into 2nd (like it should). It then looses power untill I come to a full stop And start over, pushing aprox 40%. Also same thing happens if I take off slowly, like in a parking lot and it has not yet had a chance to shift, but I let off the peddle, then go to speed up again. It gives the same symptom. I will again have to stop and start all over. When the problem is active I can press the peddle as much or as little as I want and no responce (sometimes for a brief second it will attempt to jump in RPMs but only for a fraction of a second.) Ultimately I have to come to a full stop and start all over again pushing throttle about 40%. It seems as though it would be a throttle position sensor. This is why I changed the entire Throttle body. I was told my TPS is integrated in the TB. Its definitely not transmission because ofcourse I get no response from the engine to even make it to the transmission. Once the car is driven for 5 min its fine. Their is an exception to that though. If I only drive it for 5 min or so, it will go away. But if I park it right after that 5 min or so and come back in 5-10 min, the problem is back.. But If I drive it for 30 min. Or so, park it for 5-10 I get back in and it runs fine. It is the weirdest thing ive seen. And after the inital hiccups it will be fine the rest of the entire time for that trip. Thank you.

It is odd. I think its best to have the use of a scan tool to see if the computer is getting and commanding throttle during this down time to figure out where the missing signal is at. I am stinking throttle pedal with the information i have from you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a scan tool. I do know the engine light is not comming on. Do you mean the sensor behind the peddle? If it is fairly inexpensive I can just relace it.

Yes I am referring to the sensor for the throttle pedal.