Roy Belding
Roy Belding, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE since 1980
3506196

My engine light on in my 08 lacrosse and it hesitates on

Customer Question

My engine light on in my 08 lacrosse and it hesitates on acceleration
Category: Buick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought about replacing gas cap, but feel it is more than that. Also In the winter when cold it sputters to start or will shut back off.
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 1 year ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

the first thing is to identify the code so we can narrow down the area of failure. a parts store can get you the code for free. once that is determined, let me know that code and we can proceed. guessing is not an option as there is over 1500 possible codes.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I will check into it and let you know. Thanks
ok, I will off for a bit until about 2 pm and on for the rest of the day and night
Roy

how are you making out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get codes today. Sorry for the delay my son's wedding is 10 days away and I been super busy with other last minute issues. But with that said my car is a huge issue also. Anne

ok, I will be here until 9 tonight

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car came back with one code P0420. I may get it checked again at another place and see what comes up so I have another confirmation. Thanks Roy.
Anne

ok. the 420 is a catalytic converter efficiency code. the converter cannot do its job anymore and needs to be replaced. be careful on what brand you get. the cheap ones will not last. you will need one that has a 5 year 50k warranty for the light to stay out.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The guys at the store said to first check air filter, pcv valve, plugs and wires, and exhaust line, before catalytic converter. Could anyone of these affect system? If it is the converter is this something my husband could do?
if the car had a miss fire or bad plugs, that would be the reason for the cat converter failure but there would be other codes, which you do not. you need a cat converter.
yes, he can. it is not a difficult job assuming he has the needed tools to replace it.
Roy